The Body as a Medium

Art is fluid, art is diverse, and art is everywhere. They very idea of art being confined to simply a paintbrush and canvas is absurd. I see art every time that I walk outside and immerse myself in nature.  While I do not have much artistic talent outside of film, I am inspired by Marina Abramovic's avant-garde approach to art. The more that individuals appreciate the world around them, the more obvious it is that we are surrounded by works of art. When it comes to self expression, rules and restrictions do not apply like they do in the STEM subjects. Abramovic describes the studio as a seclusion that hindered her from truly connecting with the public. To her, it was ludicrous to even consider returning to the confines of classic mediums. While this does not mean that the typical mediums are basic or overused, it just means that the possibilities are endless when it comes to expressing yourself to the furthest extent. In many ways, I relate to this mindset. I have never been very talented with painting or drawing yet I have such a passion for art and aesthetics. I tend to use my own dynamic and complex emotions as inspiration for my self expression. The most important aspect of my art is the way in which it inspires others and encourages individual emotional growth in both myself and the viewers. The more that I am able to explain and be in touch with my own emotions, the more I am able to connect with the viewers of my art.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#MeToo Video Art

Sticky Note Performance Piece