The Unconscious Mind

The idea of our brain acting like a parliament interested me because I never really thought about how inherently physical the arguments I have with myself are. While we as humans are relatively aware that we have a subconscious, I do not think most people understand the extent to which our actions are controlled by parts of the brain that we will never have full control of. For example, when you are deciding whether or not to tell someone a secret, one parliamentary system of neurons is competing with the other. How do you decide who wins? After thinking about this for awhile, I realized that the winning party typically varies for me. Originally I thought that the moral side of the brain would be the one that would rationalize and become victorious in such situations. However, in hindsight I realized that the inherent stress of holding onto a secret has influenced my decision making more than I thought. Dr. Eagleman truly made me more conscious of my subconscious. He thoroughly explained the source of our impulses and thus convinced me for the first time that I have more control over my actions than I thought in the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#MeToo Video Art

Sticky Note Performance Piece

The Body as a Medium